the Fairgame Archive

2008-05-17: My brother Travis is dead.
by Meguey

He died this morning after years of living with cancer. I feel very sad but also fairly calm and peaceful. He was an incredibly strong, brave fighter - a peaceful warrior. When I got married 15 years ago, he surprised us all by saying "I'll be there for your kids." He knew even then that something was not right, even though the cancer would not be diagnosed for another three years. He knew all my children. We got ten more years than we had expected; he ran a business, served on city council, met and fell in love with his wife, and raised a beautiful daughter. I'll miss him for the rest of my life, but I'll feel him near me when the wind blows cool and refreshing, for just a moment, on a hot summer morning.

Travis, we miss you. Arf!

2008-05-17 20:16:28 Mo

Aww, man. I'm sorry, Meg. Travis was a total sweetheart.

Our hearts go out to you and Laura and Gabe.

2008-05-17 23:45:04 Lukas

I'm really sorry, Meg.  I only knew Travis from the internet, but that was enough to see what a cool person he was.

2008-05-19 15:54:52 Christoph

My sympathy to you and your family.

2008-05-19 17:31:43 Jonathan

He seemed like such a strong, amazing person.  What a tragedy.

2008-05-19 19:15:37 luke

I'm so sorry.

Love to you, Vincent and the kids.

2008-05-20 18:38:43 Matt Wilson

Big hugs of support from Meredith and Emmett and me.

2008-05-20 22:03:23 Meguey

Thanks, everyone, it really helps to hear your words of support. The funeral is tomorrow, and I'm kinda dreading it. I want the last images in my head to be what I remember from his visit in March, when he was laughing and alive and planning the next phase of his life with his Beautiful Wife.

Since March 26, when the cancer hit his brain, I've known we were on the last bit of borrowed time. I've felt angry, scared, worried, anguished at his suffering, terrified of his death, helpless and sad. Now I just feel sad.

2008-05-25 14:27:22 Tony Dowler

So sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Back to ToC